Friday, November 30, 2007

Leggo My Pesto

We got a basil plant as one of our wedding gifts. It's great! It naturally repels insects, smells yummy, and tastes delicious. Since we live in an apartment, sans balcony or courtyard or any greenery, we adore houseplants. We have quite a few. Don't ask me what they are or you'll hear descriptions like "it's a potted plants that's green with long leaves. or maybe they're called strands? there are little sprout thingys off some of the strands." Wow, I'm making myself sound ditzy. I'm not. Promise.

Where was I again? Oh yeah, making your own food in your own jars is cheaper and creates less waste and more fun (cheesy much?). You can reuse the same jars over and over, and you don't have to drive to the store, so you save some CO2 as well. It's a win-win-win-win situation.

Here are some pictures of what I did:

I picked ALL of the leaves off the basil plant (which, by the way, is pretty much a fool proof plant if you give it enough sunlight.) Notice the sewn-by-Mike curtain and chives to the left and the Ikea bamboo-esque plant to the right. :)
Basil


I put the basil along with olive oil, garlic, and walnuts in the food processor. It was soooo easy and the best pesto ever. The mess left a little to be desired. (Notice our teeny tiny sink. At least there's a garbage disposal. But nope, no dishwasher. That would be Mike.)


We got really pretty antique jars at one of our wedding showers:

Ta-da! (That whole basil plant made this little jar. But a little pesto tossed with spaghetti goes a long way.) Looks yummy. You can either stick it in the fridge and eat it in 2-3 days, or freeze it.

Yay! I did it! 30 days!! It's only the beginning, though. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment. They're the best part!