Saturday, November 7, 2009

Just Like on Everybody Loves Raymond. Except NOT.

After living far from my family for five years, we've been about an hour drive away for the past year or so. (And by far, I mean - a 40-hour plane ride for three of those years.) It was a choice we made to move closer to them (and to the fabulous city of Cleveland, of course.)

The Benefits of Living Near-ish to Family
  • DVR/satellite television access. (Uh, these are in no particular order...)
  • Suggesting we go out to dinner and always being treated.
  • Seeing my siblings get older. When I left for college and my little brother was a wee little 9-year-old, I bemoaned the fact that he'd grow up without getting to know me. He just gave me the rundown on his skincare regimen last weekend, so I think it's safe to say we're fine.
  • Being around when college or Colorado sister come home to visit.
  • Laughing with my mom as my 15-year-old brother suddenly cares about his hair. And his breath. And his skin. And wondering together HOLY CRAP, WHEN DID HE BECOME A TEENAGER!?
  • With a crazy amount of little cousins in the area, it's always someone's birthday. Birthday cake = score.
  • Playing dominoes with my grandparents on a Friday night.
  • Watching Mike teach my little brother how to play guitar. Precious.
  • Babysitting my cousins - getting to take care of them and play with them and be a part of their lives.
  • No long drives or expensive plane rides needed. A major WIN.
  • 8 cousins, 3 aunts, 3 uncles, 2 parents, 2 siblings, and 2 grandparents live within a an hour of us. Support system much?
  • We can visit for the day and not stay for the whole weekend...although we usually end up staying the whole weekend, somehow.
  • Pilfered cereal and cans of soup taste better than ones you buy.
  • Being around for things like this and this.
I think I just love being a part of my family's life more often. We might not always be around, but for now, it's working wonderfully. (Minus this sort of thing. But, you know. No one's perfect.)

Do you live near your family? As 20-somethings, we're now more mobile and have a say in where we live. Did you jet away as soon as possible? Would you hate living close to them? Do you wish you'd be closer? Are your parents down the street?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment. They're the best part!