Monday, May 16, 2011

How to Make Scrambled Tofu.

I can’t believe I was a vegetarian for five years before discovering scrambled tofu.

It sounds weird, I always thought. Probably doesn’t have much flavor.

I WAS SO WRONG. It's now a staple in our kitchen.

If you don’t like tofu, you need to try this. If you like delicious food, you need to try this. If you are scared of cooking tofu, you need to try this.

It’s easy, it’s fast, and it’s quite tasty.

You’ll need:
Olive oil
Garlic (as much as you want - smashed or minced or whatever)
A chopped onion (optional)
A pound-ish of extra firm tofu (I’ve made it with firm and medium firm tofu, as well)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (in the bulk foods section of most grocery stores) (I leave it out if I don’t have it – no biggie)
Spices (I stick with cumin, tumeric, oregano, salt)

Step One:

 Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes – onion should start to get translucent. While they’re sautéing – mix 3 tablespoons of water with the spices and set it aside. (I use a teaspoon of salt, two teaspoons of cumin, a teaspoon of oregano, and half a teaspoon of turmeric. It tastes awesome, so I just stick with that combo.)


Step Two:

Drain the tofu and break up into chunks – heat for ten minutes on medium high heat. Turn up the heat if water collects in the pan; add a few splashes of water if the tofu looks dry. Use a spatula to flip the tofu a few times. The tofu should be brown and crispy on at least one side.



Step Three:

Add the spice blend and nutritional yeast. Stir until it coats the tofu. Yum. Cook for five more minutes, stirring as you feel like it. I usually turn up the heat for the last few minutes so it gets nice and crispy. I love crispy.



Ta-da! You’re all done. And it’s tasty. Eat with buttered toast, on a tortilla, with ketchup, with hash browns, or out of the pan with your fingers.

No one’s judging.

. . . . . . . . . . . .
Oh, ALSO, I have a post up on my review blog about the difficulties of teething - and there is a $100 Babies R Us gift card up for grabs (just share your teething coping methods). You should check it out if you need to get a new car seat, like we just did. Or have a lot of baby shower gifts to buy for other people. Or if you want to fill your closet with cute baby clothes.
. . . . . . . . . . . .
blog comments powered by Disqus