Friday, November 16, 2007

The Answer, My Friend, Is Blowin' In the Wind

We don’t use a clothes dryer because we’re cheap. We can also claim that we want to reduce energy usage. ☺ Instead of using the dryer for our clothes, we bought an indoor clothesline from Ace Hardware and mounted it in our second bedroom/study/storage area. We also have one of those expandable drying racks. We either open the window or turn on the fan in the room. I've never had a problem with clothes drying inside, even in the winter! We can dry two loads of laundry between the line and rack. It takes about 10 minutes to hang up and a few minutes to take down. It’s really not too hard and since dryers use a TON of energy, it’s worth it. The trick is to take your clothes down before they're completely dry so they don't get that stiff cardboard feeling. Your clothes will as soft as from the dryer!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful, I tried to do the same this summer but haven't attempted anything since the snows came. I don't have any indoor drying apparatti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really surprised that more people don't give up electric/gas clothes dryers. In addition to saving energy, you also "save" your clothes. I've done this throughout nearly 40 years of marriage. I REALLY became aware of the amount of clothing left in the dryer when my son loaned a towel to a friend at school. At the end of the school year, that towel was returned and when folded was only 1/2 the thickness of it's mates on my linen closet shelves. You can't beat that dried in the sunshine smell either! Try it for sheets and you'll never go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love line drying clothes! I used to always toss them in the dryer for 5 minutes afterward to fluff them up, but you can't do that with our dryer now so I've stopped. In the summer our clothes dry in literally 20 minutes outside when it's hot and sunny here! But I found they took ages in the winter. Maybe a fan is a good idea, I'll look into it considering it's headed into fall right now.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, leave a comment. They're the best part!