Monday, November 16, 2009

I Don't Do "Balance" Well.

I began blogging as a way to keep in touch with my friends while in Hawaii for a semester.

I continued blogging because I was enthralled by the idea of this world where people wrote as a way of communication. Writers spent time expressing their thoughts and readers took time to read and respond.

This blogging thing seemed to encourage us to take the time to listen to each other. Sometimes we giggle together, sometimes we learn together, and sometimes we disagree. But, we’re always talking.

And I love that about blogging.

I love that blogging has led me to some of the sweetest, kindest, and most wonderful people I’ve ever known. When I cry, you send me emails to see how I am. You make me laugh with your silly stories. You make me want to be a better person. You encourage me to be who I want to be. You even support my little Etsy shop and freelance design work. You are amazing.
The price of getting cozy and comfortable in this wonderful little corner of my life, though, is that I have neglected other people and other pieces of my life that I love dearly.

.

.

.

It makes catching up with an old friend quite one-sided when they’re updated on all the details of your life from your blog. You start out on a story while at coffee with a friend, and wonder, “Am I repeating something I wrote?” Your friend confesses to loving your blog, but feels “like a total stalker” for reading it. You don’t send birthday cards, you tweet birthday wishes instead. You get lazy about keeping in touch. Your husband begins to feel neglected.

You love blogging and you love your “real life” friends and family.

You seek to find a balance.

..................

Psst: In honor of being more "balanced," I'd like to solicit a few guest bloggers for this weekend. I'll be heading down to Georgia for a work trip. Leave a comment below or email me if you're interested. Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment. They're the best part!