Tuesday, November 3, 2009

On Defiance…and a Little Special.

I’m not sure why, but last month was the quietest month I’ve had since I joined Etsy. Perhaps it’s because I raised my prices to reflect the actual time and materials going into things and acknowledge that I’m not, in fact, a sweatshop in Nicaragua so I probably can’t compete with Target. Whatever the reason may be, I’ve decided to jump start holiday shopping AND celebrate my year on Etsy (official on November 24th) with a special: my earrings are buy-one-get-one-half-off for the entire month of November. Find my shop here.

:: November (is) Special ::

I still dream of being a work-at-home mom in a few years – designing website and invitations and Etsying, and perhaps working a part-time job at Trader Joe’s or a coffee shop while Mike pursues a PhD. (Why, yes, we will be quite poor. Thank you for noticing.) I do adore my job right now – aside from its time-sucking properties – so I wonder if I should count myself as lucky enough to have a fulfilling, wonderful job and leave my little dreams of working for myself behind. (Plus, taxes are scary. I like my easy little W2 forms. Working for yourself = MORE TAX FILING = hives.)

Does becoming an adult mean accepting the restraints of life? I can't help but feel defeated accepting a 9-5 job as my future. Even if it is a really fun job.

So: I refuse to settle.

I refuse to grow up.

I maintain my dreams and desires.

These are my goals. Call me a teenager, but I'm defiant. I will not be defined by my job. I will not feel bad for finding an unorthodox career or career path.

And that is why I signed up for two more design classes next semester at the community college.

Here's to dreams.

What would you do if you didn't care what your parents/friends/family/the world thought?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

PS: Yes, I am a broken record. So enter my Starbucks giveaway and shut me up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment. They're the best part!