Saturday, January 23, 2010

Motivational Blogs, A Venn Diagram, and Taking Risks.

Sometimes I try to read those motivational, inspirational blogs that encourage you to find an alternate path in life. A different way of making a living, defining your drive, and discovering yourself. You know the kids of blogs I’m talking about. They usually break up their posts like articles - titling each section with big, bold fonts, want you to sign up for their newsletters, and are selling some sort of downloadable e-book in their sidebar. They always use a certain jargon and lingo that sounds a bit like a televangelist.

I visit them from time to time, and after eying them suspiciously, I feel all inspired and go-getter-y. Yeah! I think, I’m going to take charge of my destiny and do what I love. Screw conventional society!

I recently stumbled across one with an exercise that sounded particularly intriguing and helpful. Find the intersection of what you love to do and what you can get paid for. Do that.

Well, that sounds good. Being happy is great. Alternative lifestyles? Awesome. Booyah! After some thinking, though, I realize that intersection would look something like this:

Cool People Make Charts.

Well, then.

Not quite as simple and clear-cut as I'd hoped it would be.

In all honesty, I still dream of working for myself, but it's difficult pursuing opportunities in freelance work and creating new goodies to keep my Etsy shop fresh while holding down a fairly demanding full-time job. I am pursuing my graphic design goals - I'm taking two more classes this semester. Typography (!!!) and Web Publishing - HTML and CSS. I wonder sometimes if I should be taking more drastic, swift steps towards my dreams. Should I risk it all? Should I leap with both feet without looking?

I see other do those sorts of things and feel a tinge of wistfulness. I want it all, but I also have to face the realities of my current life situation.

I think I can have it all...will have it all. Eventually. I need to be patient with myself and allow my dreams to unfold at their own pace.

Perhaps you've noticed this quote over in my sidebar. When I feel like I'm left behind when everyone else is off doing exciting, dream-fulfilling things - I try and remind myself that my time will come; it's not a competition. Be patient, I'm getting there.
Never compare your journey with someone else’s. It’s a marathon with no finish line. Someone else may start out faster than you, may seem to progress more quickly than you, but every runner has his own pace. Your journey is your journey, not a competition. You will never “arrive”. No one ever does.
- Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai

0 comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, leave a comment. They're the best part!