Last night I had my FOURTH interview-slash-meeting and, as I had suspected, they offered me the job.
I'm totally torn and confused about this. After I let the radio decide ("If I hear Taylor Swift before I get home, I'll take the job!") and called Mike, (who suggested, "Let's just talk about this when you get home..." because he was watching Ugly Betty!), I'm coming to YOU, Internet (and lovely friends), for rational decision making abilities.
I'm going to lay out the situation and ask you to cast your vote on what I should do. And I'll...bake you cookies...if you come visit me. :)
The Job: It's big, difficult, far away, and has the potential to be rewarding. It's a LOT of responsibility, and I have little experience in this field. They want to hire me because of my energy and mentor me like crazy. My supervisors are awesome; I'd have a great deal of support, and I'm insanely honored that they considered me, let alone want me to do this. However, there are three Big Obstacles I have to reconcile before accepting:
1) the two-hour-a-day commute (in no traffic...imagine winter, or rush hour!) - it would add 17,000 miles to our car in one year for my job alone. That would cost about $6,800 above and beyond the average commute (20 miles a day).
2) It's not what I really want to do. (At least I think. Though what if it IS and I turn it down?)
3) The responsibility is so overwhelming - three HUGE jobs rolled into one, basically. I'm fairly certain they want me to sign my life over to them. :)
Financial Situation: Mike is quitting his job to be a graduate assistant; he'll be paid enough to cover our food, gas, and every other expense each month - but no health coverage. We have enough savings to pay rent for 8 months.
Life: Next summer, we'll be moving (AGAIN!) for Mike to start a PhD program. Two out of the ten programs are in the area (an hour from The Job); which means I have a 20% chance of staying in the area. Though, he has a better chance of getting in to area programs, so let's say I have a 40% chance of staying in the area.
The Decision: I could take this job OR spend next year substitute teaching, freelancing, taking design classes, sewing, part-time jobbing, and so on.
Why would I choose option two?
1) We're possibly leaving in a year, and they specifically mentioned wanting me to stay several years to get this started.
2) The (two-hour-a-day) commute and demanding nature of the job (weekends, evenings)means no Mike-time ever - let alone Etsy, running, or freelancing time.
3) The Job is not really my passion, but design is!
4) Insane amount of work could leave me frustrated and defeated. (And at the very least: busy.)
Why would I choose the job?
1) Guaranteed financial stability and health insurance.
2) Opportunity to lead, grow, and learn.
3) It's not my passion...yet. Maybe it is and I just don't know!
4) Insane amount of work could leave me feeling rewarded and triumphant.
The Deadline: I have until I leave for the airport tomorrow morning to make the decision. That's a little more than 24 hours. I'm gone all day today and I'll check here tomorrow morning and take seriously your opinions. :)